Thursday, October 11, 2007

Why? 2

When I am dancing my teacher Marybeth always tells me to put more emotion into my dancing. I have a hard time showing more emotion since I don’t know that much about the background of hula. I am hoping that if I know more of the background it will help me to connect more. I want to improve in my dancing overall emotionally and physically.

Will knowing the traditions help me connect more with Hula?

Will lower body exercises improve my dance moves in hula?

Will knowing the history help me be more emotional with my dances?

Are there certain techniques that I can do on my own to help me become a better hula dancer overall?

3 comments:

johngoldfine said...

I still think you've got to deal with the idea of emotion in art or emotion in dance--that after all is what the paper is about, but the reader has no idea what it is you think is lacking. The word 'emotion' is the beginning of the discussion, not the end.

Do you mean you don't smile much because your legs are in such pain? Or that the dancing is passable but to an expert is 'cold.' Or that your physical moves are inadequate and the whole dance and the feeling it conveys depends on more competent dancing? Or what?

MTracy said...

My issue is that my dancing is passable but to an expert I am cold. My face and body motion during the dances doesn't show anything I am to busy trying to think of what comes next that I can' think of anything else.

johngoldfine said...

My issue is that my dancing is passable but to an expert I am cold. My face and body motion during the dances doesn't show anything I am to busy trying to think of what comes next that I can' think of anything else.

Okay! That's what's missing in the actual isearch material at this point--here it is, all written, just needs to be fitted in somewhere!