Saturday, October 6, 2007

classification essay

My stomach is in knots, my hands are covering my face just enough so that I can still peak out through them. I ask my husband over and over again what is happening because I want to know so bad but sometimes I can’t watch That is how it is when I am watching a horror movie. I enjoy a really entertaining movie but horror movies are still right there at the top. There are all types of horror movies but I have broken them down into three categories a gore fest, a creature feature and a slasher.

What I like to throw in the category of gore fest are all those movies that have a poor story line and a lot of blood. These movies are usually so unbelievable it makes them funny rather then scary. When my husband was in college we would rent what we call a gore fest movie and just laugh at most of them because they usually had horrible actors and a horrible story line. These movies usually don’t care about the plot they just try to squeeze in as much gross stuff as possible. We don’t watch these movies all that often anymore but if we want a movie that doesn’t involve a lot of thinking then we will pick one up.

The next category is creature feature, any movie that has some creature doing the harassing. Personally one of my favorites is Jaws. I could sit and watch that movie a hundred times even though I know what is coming next. We still watch it every time it happens to be on TV. Another good one is Ghost in the Darkness. This movie is about two lions that are after the people in Africa. Both Jaws and Ghost in the Darkness are suspenseful and I couldn’t wait to see what is going to happen next. Any movie that has a creature of some sort whether it is an animal or an alien would fall under this category.

The last category is a slasher which is my favorite. This one is the one where I have to hide my eyes through most of the movie. They are the most terrifying to me because most of the time it could really happen, as scary as that sounds. Scream would fall under a slasher. When that movie first came out there was no other movie quite like it. When I watched it I would jump at all the parts that you were supposed to jump at. I find that during these movies I am hollering at some girl to turn around, don’t go up the stairs, and run! Personally I like to watch the movies that jump and keep me wonder what is going to come next not the ones that turn my stomach the whole time I am watching.

As much as I still love horror movies I have noticed they are getting harder for me to watch. After having children I am a little more sensitive towards them. I catch myself not only covering my eyes more but plugging my ears. I have to wonder what is the purpose of watching a movie if your hiding most of the time? Still, every time a preview for the next big horror movie comes on I find myself wanted to go to the theater to see it. That is the way to experience a scary movie with the room pitch black and the surround sound son loud it is almost unbearable. For me the way to tell if it was a really good horror movie is if you screamed out loud anytime during the movie since it takes a lot for me to do so. And yes it has happened to me, but only once.

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

In a piece dealing with mass consumables, it's hard but necessary to individualize the material, to figure out a way to personalize something which belongs to anyone with a few bucks for a video rental or movie ticket.

Have you done all you can do in the support grafs to show yourself in relation to these movies? If yes, let me know and I'll take it as is. If no, revise in a separate post.

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel