Tuesday, September 11, 2007

graf#5

An object that is really important to me is the Tree if life family cookbook that is made up of our families favorite recipes. I chose the cookbook because I love to carry on traditions and every time I make something from I feel I am doing that. The book has everything from appetizers to drinks.

Some of my favorites are in there and some I have never tried before. A lot of the recipes in the book are from my grandmother the first recipe that comes to mind are doughnut muffins that have been a tradition since I was a little girl. We had them every Christmas morning and we still do to this day. They are a very simple muffin but as soon as you take them out of the oven you dip them in butter and then roll in sugar and cinnamon. I didn’t say they were good for you but they are so yummy. The two recipes that bring back the most memories are my grandmother’s pancakes and her peanut butter chocolate brownies. My grandparents would make the pancakes for breakfast, lunch or even dinner I didn’t care when I ate them. They have a little molasses in them and you have to eat them with real maple syrup. The last recipe is peanut butter chocolate brownies; they are my kid’s favorite. I remember I would go to my grams house after school and she would have the warm plate of brownies waiting for me. I have friends still today that talk about those brownies and request me to make them quite often.

I put in Herbed Oatmeal pan bread in the book because that is one of the things my mother-in-law made when I went over there for dinner for the first time. They are always a big hit when friends come over so I wanted to pass that on to others that haven’t tried them before. I also put in scallops my bumpa (grandfather) makes a lot. We don’t get to see them all that often but every time we go down for dinner we have is oven fried scallops. You just add butter and Ritz crackers and they are delicious. My kids still aren’t fans of the scallops but I hope the more I make them the more bites they will try.

Well I have gone on about past memories some of the recipes bring up for me and I can’t wait for all the new memories we will create while making and eating the wonderful food in the cookbook. I hope that my children use these same recipes and think back on the memories they bring up for them.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Yeah, that's great, that really nails it--those specific recipes make the piece a keeper. BTW, given the price of scallops, just keep your fingers crossed that they continue to prefer tuna or PBJ or something else!