Tuesday, September 25, 2007

essay 1

We parked our car next to an old cabin that looked liked it should be in one of those scary movies you watch late at night with your friends. It didn’t look like someplace you wanted to spend your honeymoon. We walked into the room waiting to see the amazing things this place had to offer. We looked around and saw a room stuck in the seventies, don’t get me wrong I have nothing against the seventies. I decided to put our bags down and have a look around the room. I placed our bags on the bed and as I did so I felt a moist damp hot pink comforter. That was only one of the many reasons I knew I did not want to spend my honeymoon at this place.

I couldn’t believe the bed was damp there was no way I was going to lay down and sleep on that. The room itself wasn’t all that inviting, in it was our own private red heart shaped pool which was more like a bathtub, it looked much bigger in the pictures. On the side of the “pool” there were two champagne glasses with pink candles on either side of those. There were mirrors covering one whole wall and little heart shaped soap on the sink in the bathroom. No matter how hard I tried I couldn’t imagine spending a week here. My husband being the optimist that he is said “lets take a walk around then go have dinner at the resort it can’t be that bad.”

We left our cabin and started to walk around to see what we could do for fun. The brochure showed a lot of different activities that were available within the resort. We tried to find the horseback riding that we read about. We found it but you had to pay extra for that. Then we did come across some tennis courts but we can do that anytime so I was interested. We walked a little while longer and I wasn’t impressed at all, the buildings we saw were in need of a makeover. The whole place reminded me of an apartment complex not a resort. You could tell though that back in there time they were probably really nice places. The whole time we were walking we didn’t see another soul anywhere. My husband could tell I had just about had it so he pulled me into the dining room to check out the food.

The optimism didn’t work this time the dinner tasted like they pulled it out of the freezer and threw it in the oven. My husband and I both had chicken and vegetables we thought we were pretty safe with that, boy were we wrong. The chicken wasn’t all white meat (I do not like dark meat) and the vegetables looked like the veggie frozen mix you buy at the grocery store. Oh, I also ordered a side of “fresh” fruit. It had the typical cantaloupe, honeydew, and watermelon in it the one where all the fruit taste the same because it was all frozen together. I looked at my husband Bill and said “we can not stay here.” I wanted our first week as husband and wife to be something I always would remember not something I wanted to soon forget. We weren’t sure what to do next, if we left right now would they give us our money back?

No comments: