Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Practice final

Why I love my dog Vienna

Seven years ago my husband and I went to Bucksport to look at some mini dachshunds. When we got to the house there were five little puppies. We knew we wanted to get a little girl and there were two to choose from. I picked up one of them and she was the size of my hand. She fit perfectly in my palm. I looked into her big brown eyes and melted, I wanted her and then she gave me a little kiss on the cheek and it sealed the deal for me. There are many reason why I love my little dog Vienna but the three things I look forward to everyday is her greeting me at the door when I get home, still loving to play like she was a new puppy and curling up with me at night.

When I pull into the driveway I know my little girl is waiting in there ready to jump all over me and give me kisses. I get out of my car and I hear her whining in excitement because she knows that I am home. I open the door and there she is sitting on the rug in front of the door. She is wagging her tail so fast that her entire body shakes in excitement. I kneel down to talk to her, I pick her up and she starts in with the little kisses. I don’t mind her slimy tongue on my cheek because it is so small I don’t get slobber all over me. Coming home to that is so rewarding I couldn’t imagine walking into a house without a four legged creature to greet me at the door (well in her case it is a three legged creature)

Vienna will constantly want me to play with her. She has lots of babies around the house. Some of the babies she gets she will chew up as soon as she gets them just to get the squeaker out. She will usually pick one toy not to hurt and she will protect it like it is her baby. She gets very upset when someone touches her special toy and will whine if anyone squeaks it as soon as she gets it back she takes it right over to her bed. She loves to have you throw her toys for her she would do it all day if you would let her. Her favorite toy to chase is her tennis ball which doesn’t have much of the yellow fuzz on the outside because she chewed most of it off. Vienna doesn’t just love her toys to play with she also loves playing in the pool and outside in the snow. She will jump in the small kiddy pool with the kids and bark until one of them splashes water at her so she can try to bite it. This will go on until I finally have to take her out and then she will lay down on the deck and sunbath in the hot sun. Then when it turns into winter she can’t run out the door fast enough to dive into the big snow banks. She will wait for you to throw a snowball at her so again she can grab it with her mouth. She eventually gets to cold and will come in and curl up on a blanket in front of the fireplace.

When she was just a new puppy she would lay across my neck and fall asleep. Now come bedtime I carry her into the bedroom. I plop her on the bed and she climbs underneath the blankets as soon as she can. I get into bed to snuggle up next to her and she will follow me where ever I turn. If I am lying on my side she will cuddle up between my legs and stomach she fits perfectly, if I am laying on my back she lays out straight right next to my side with her nose buried under my arm. My husband doesn’t love it as much as I do having her in bed since she lays right between us but I just can’t say no to her.

I could go on forever listing all the things I love about Vienna she is very special to me. Some people may find it weird how much she means to me but she is part of our family. I couldn’t imagine my family without her; she is one of my babies. Something would be missing if I didn’t hear that whine as soon as I got home, or if there was no one there to catch that tennis ball, and if I didn’t feel that warm little furry creature lying next to me at night.

2 comments:

johngoldfine said...

Do you pronounce her name Vi-enna or Vee-anna??? Do you eat the Vienna sausages a lot? And how did she lose the leg?

I don't find any of this weird--sounds totally normal to me.

So, this one was easy and fun to write! Practically wrote itself and you knew it was good as soon as you were done, right?

MTracy said...

It was a lot of fun writing this one I had no problem so as long as the final is like this it will be great! My sister in law actually came up with the name after vienna sausages. I actually don't eat meat so no I don't eat the sausages. She lost her leg when she was two years old she ran out in the street and was hit by a car. She won though that is another thing I love about her she is a fighter. She ran around with one of those yellow banana casts on her leg for awhile but her bones are so small they couldn't fix it. I think I had a harder time then she did with it.