Thursday, November 29, 2007

Comparison

There are many different obstacles people face in their lives. One of the challenges I have had to deal with is having a father who is an alcoholic. I feel helpless when it comes to my father and his drinking. I want to fix it but I know I can’t he has to want to stop for himself. Drinking is such a destructive disease I don’t understand why you would start in the first place. The only way I can explain it is alcoholism is like fire, it destroys what ever is in its path with out ever looking back.

A fire has no concern for what is in its path much like an alcoholic when they are drunk off their liquor. My father has done many things when he was drunk that normally he wouldn’t have done if he didn’t have a drink. The way fire craves oxygen to burn my father craves alcohol so he can survive. That sounds crazy but my father truly believes that he needs the alcoholic so he can function. My father continues to drink his bottle of vodka just like adding fuel to the fire. He has been selfish most of his life always looking out for number one, himself. When he has had enough in his job or just everyday life he will up and leave and go on a mini vacation so he will feel better. He doesn’t even think about what my mom is going through back home trying to pay the bill and make ends meet all on her own. When he finally decides to come home he acts like nothing ever happened.

A fire doesn’t just destroy what is in path it has affects on it surroundings as well. The fire changes the chemical makeup of objects when it burns them. In this way alcoholism affects more then just the immediate family it affects the whole family and friendships. The chemical change that happens to my father and the family do to the alcohol is unreal. There are so many different ways my family deals with the alcohol, my grandparents just ignore it like it isn’t even there, my mom puts her two cents in here and there but it is easier if she just doesn’t say a word and me I confront the issues on many occasions. I can’t really say which one works the best because none of them seem to work. My father also goes through a change when he has been drinking he isn’t himself his personality changes completely. My father is normally soft spoken and willing to help you out when ever you need something but if he has had a drink he is cruel and wouldn’t dream about moving from his chair to help someone.

The only way to stop a fire is to smother it so it is no longer fueled by anything. Alcoholism is the same in the sense that there must be a way to smother the need for a drink. It isn’t easy it’s almost helpless, it continues to want more. It will continue to stick around until there is nothing left. We have tried so many different strategies to try and help my father. When he is ready if he ever is he will stop on his own. Sometimes the same thing happens to fire; no matter what you try to put it out with it continues to burn until nothing is left.

Fire is a very powerful force and some are easier to put out then others. Naturally you try anything to stop the fire from spreading and destroying everything. Sometimes it takes a lot to put a fire out; many people and a lot of equipment and other times it only takes one. I’m not sure how to put this fire out that is burning in my father I feel I have done everything I know to do now it is all up to one person to put it out, that person would be my father.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Interesting idea and you follow the comparison you want to make.

One reason I don't really like comparison essays generally is because they tend to stifle the subject in favor of making the comparison work. If I told you to simply write about your father's alcoholism, the essay would be different--this wouldn't be your first choice of approaches. That said, I'll take it.