Friday, August 31, 2007

Graf #2

The teacher that comes to mind when I think of worst teacher is a substitute I had in second grade. She was an older woman with grey hair that didn’t even seem to like kids all that much. She would sub for our teacher often but one day in particular sticks out in my mind still today.
We had a spelling test that day and when we were finished she had us switch papers with the person next to us. I had to switch my test with a girl that was known for being very smart and having a lot of money. As we were going down the list she was getting all of them correct until we came to the very last word. I don’t remember what the word was now but I do remember she had an “a” where an “e” was supposed to be so I had to mark it incorrect. Well, when I handed her paper back she started to cry and say she knows she spelled the word correct. The teacher came right over to see what was wrong. While she was sobbing she managed to say “I must have switched the “e” to an “a” so she would get it wrong.” The teacher then looked at me and asked if I switched the letters on her paper. I kept telling her over and over again that I didn’t switch her letters she really didn’t spell in wrong. I didn’t switch the letter but why would she believe me over a girl who never made mistakes. When it was all said and done she let her switch the red mark for incorrect to a green mark for correct. At the end of the day the teacher would always give stickers to all of the kids, which was something we all looked forward to. We all lined up to get our stickers before we went home. When it was my turn to get mine she didn’t give me one. She just looked at me and said I am sorry Melody but you don’t get one today since you changed Wendy’s answer on her test.
That has stuck with me all these years, it is a big deal when you’re in second grade and you don’t get a sticker for the day. The thing that upset me the most was that I didn’t change her answer on the test; she really did get it wrong.

1 comment:

johngoldfine said...

Yep, exactly what I'm looking for here: a little story to illustrate your point. No sticker!